Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Time to Remember


Looking back 9 years ago, I remember this day well. It was at this exact moment that I had nurses frantically trying to track down my doctor. Do it Yourself Guy was miserably sitting in a chair next to me and I was oblivious to it all. You see, 9 years ago, I gave birth to The Entire Debate Team in One.

I remember how everything started. Do It Yourself Guy had just gotten back from taking his two daughters back to Iowa after Christmas and was sick as sick could be with the flu. (One) of the Favorite Cousins and her friend Jessica came over to check up on the pregnant one and watch the kids so that I could go to the grocery store. The Helpful Aunt and The (Other) Favorite Cousin were in Dallas at a convention. I was feeling great! I went to Dollar General first and got about half way through my shopping when I felt a really sharp pain. I remember the lady that was working that day asking if I was ok. The answer was sure, but I think I am going to have a baby today. It made her a little nervous, I could tell. When I left there, I decided not to go grocery shopping and chose to just go home. You see, labor with my other two kids did not last long and being in the sticks, I had a 35 minute drive to the hospital. I knew that Do It Yourself Guy was not feeling well and would need time to make himself right.

The plan had been for The Helpful Aunt and The (Other) Favorite Cousin to take care of Mr. Fixit and The Avid Reader, but if you remember, they were in Dallas! I stayed home for a couple of hours with (One) of the Favorite Cousins and Jessica while Do It Yourself Guy slept and then it was time to go. The drive to the hospital was a tense one. I was nervous (and in pain), he was sick. This was the first birth that Mom and Big Sis were not going to be there for. We got to the hospital and I was immediately put into a birthing room. No biggie, I had been in one twice before, only this time I was kind of by myself. The nurses were not even sure if Do It Yourself Guy was going to be able to stay in there with me. Thankfully, they let him stay. (One) Of the Favorite Cousins and Jessica took the other two kids out the Helpful Aunt and Favorite Uncles house, so I didn't have to worry about them. About 8:00 Helpful Aunt and The (Other) Favorite Cousin came into the room. Of course, I had gotten an epidural by then and I was feeling no pain. About an hour later (One) of the Favorite Cousins and Jessica came to the hospital. It was about this time that the nurses started to panic because they could not find my doctor. They paged and paged him to no avail. They were just about to go out and look for him when he finally called. He didn't even have time to shower after his run before she decided to show her pretty face to the world. Do It Yourself Guy was sent home by the hospital staff right after the birth and was not allowed back in the Maternity Ward.

I didn't get much of a chance to hold her, much less get to know her before the nurse took her away because her oxygen level was low. I was disappointed, but also ok with it because I knew she was in good hands. I was starving and tired. (One) of the Favorite Cousins and Jessica had gone out for pizza during the final moments of delivery and brought me back a couple of slices. Not exactly the kind that I would have ordered myself, but at that point, it didn't matter. I was starving. I was moved to a regular room and got a good nights sleep. I was finally able to spend a little time with her about noon the next day. Mom drove up the next day and spent a couple of hours with us and Dad and my grandfather came over that afternoon, too. We went home on Monday and Do It Yourself Guy had to go to Tulsa to work. It gave me a chance to settle in with her and I loved every minute of it. Now that I think of it, she has had the last say in things since day one. I love you Nut!

No comments: